AVCMC Fanmail
April 2017



From The Driver's Seat

By Joe Janssens


Judging from the number of entries, the 20th OD Inggs Memorial run was a great success once again. The sponsors and the fantastic hard work of the organisers contributed to this great event’s success. Well done guys.

Congratulations to the winners Anne and Colin Meyer.

Many thanks also to Rob Wallis for providing us with loads of beautiful pictures which have been made available by Ron Gush to all for download.

Our next club event is the Bathurst Agricultural Show where we have been invited to exhibit our classics on Saturday 1st April. Let’s polish our oldies and enjoy a fun day.

Welcome to our new members Russell Warren and Johann Lombaard. Looking forward to see them out and about soon.

Keep the old wheels rolling.


Men and women remember the past, but how different we are!

A wife was curious when she found an old negative in a drawer and had it made into a print. 

She was pleasantly surprised to see that it was of her at a much younger, slimmer time, taken many years ago on one of her first dates with her husband. When she proudly showed him the photo, his face lit up. "Wow, look at that!” he said with appreciation: "That's my old Anglia!"





Our heartfelt sympathy goes to Sue Darkes and her family on their loss of her mother, Dorothy Boxall. Many of us will remember Dorothy and her brother visiting our club on Supper Nights. 



Through The Windscreen

(This is what lies ahead)



For Your Diary

Saturday 1 April - Bathurst Show
Meet at the Civic Centre to drive out at 09h30 in convoy to display our old cars at the show.

Thursday 13 April - 5 to 8pm - Motoring DVD at the Noggin

Thursday 20 April - 5 to 8pm - Supper night
Fish and Chips and / or Pizza will be ordered at around 6pm.
Bring some cash and a cheerful face.

Sunday 23 April - Motor Gymkhana at Manley's Flats
Details will follow by sms. Sure to be fun

Saturday 29 April - 9 to 12 noon - AVCMC Museum

Saturday 20 May - Bathurst Vintage Fair
Rob Wicks is a collector of Vintage / Classic, Motocross and Enduro Bikes in Hogsback. He is planning a get together at the Bathurst Showgrounds track.  Entrance will be free to people who arrive in the period costume of their old car / bike, otherwise a small entrance fee is envisaged to cover costs. A fun outing even if you go in your modern contraption.

Sunday 28 May - Bowls and Croquet
Details to be advised. Diarise the date

11 to 15 June - Milligan rally
To be held in the George area




We have a limited number of Club bumper badges and these can be yours for a mere R200 per badge from Shirley Martin. Phone her on 071 675 4570 and don't forget to pay!



Birthday Congratulations


2  Brian Sparg
5  Peter Benyon
9  John Pringle
10  Glen Pellew
15  Joe Janssens
16  George Armstrong
17  Trevor Hoole
21  Ron Gush
23  Dave Hawkins
27 Glenn McCreath
29  Jurgen Kartenberg



Kowie Brake & Clutch

Kowie Brake and Clutch still caters for all your braking, hydraulic and clutch requirements.
We now also have an engineering workshop in which we can manufacture a range of to spec items. We also build trailers, bowling green polishers and cricket pitch rollers.
For these latest products visit
Contact us on: 046 636 1156



The Dashboard

(This is going on right now)



Unclaimed Name Badges

They are stuck to the fridge behind the bar in the Club House. Please collect yours!


Welcome to New Members

Hearty welcome to two new members.

Russell Warren and his wife Sylvia, have retired to Port Alfred from Botswana. He navigated in the OD Inggs rally for his uncle, Mike Legg. Russell and I used to meet in Orapa, Botswana when he was working there and I was visiting, and we always enjoyed a little chat in isiXhosa - to the bewilderment of our Batswana colleagues!

Johan Lombaard has lived in Port Alfred since 2003 and has recently retired from his business interests further north in Africa. He is married to Heila. He navigated for Charles Pellew in in the OD Inggs.  

We wish them both all of the best and look forward to getting to know them better.



On The Lighter Side

sent in by Charles Pellew some time ago

Early politicians required feedback from the public to determine what the people considered important. Since there were no telephones, TV's or radios, the politicians sent their assistants to local taverns, pubs, and bars. They were told to 'go sip some Ale and listen to people's conversations and political concerns. Many assistants were dispatched at different times. 'You go sip here' and 'You go sip there.' The two words 'go sip' were eventually combined when referring to the local opinion and, thus we have the term 'gossip.'




We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.                           Seen on a poster somewhere



Does Anybody Know Who Donated This Vintage Bar Optic? Pictured below.

It is on the display cabinet in the clubhouse.
We have an offer to purchase the optic from Roger Darkes's son-in-law. He has 2 and would like a 3rd and is offering R100 for this one. 

If you know who donated it, please contact Roger directly. Failing that the Committee will consider selling it. It is after all not really a motoring related item - unless we are regarded as a drinking club with an old car problem.....                                      3/3



The Rear View Mirror

(Past Events)



THE 20th OD INGGS RALLY:  18 - 19 March
by Peter Viner

Another very enjoyable rally has come and gone – the 20th but for me it was my very first one. Looking back, it seems many months ago that George Armstrong asked me if I would like to help him organise this year’s rally. I had no idea what the work entailed but I was happy to get involved having recently retired; at first it all seemed rather light work with our monthly meetings at the home of Des and Joy Hill; there was Des, Mike Newlands, George and myself and we were guided in our planning by an excellent and rather detailed check list that Charles Pellew had written some time previously. 

Things started to pick up towards the latter part of 2016; our options for routes this year were restricted because of the major road-works to the east of Port Alfred but mindful of this George had already looked at possible options for Day 1 on his trusty motorcycle, we discussed this in our committee and by early January we started the detailed planning of the proposed route. George announced that he liked to do this work as early in the day as possible – for ‘early’ read 5am which resulted in me creeping out of the house at an unearthly hour on a number of mornings trying hard not to wake my long suffering wife up. 

I found the experience of continually stopping on the road every few kilometres to make notes quite disconcerting if not frightening with lorries thundering by at high speed on the N2 and R72. George on the other hand seemed quite relaxed, perhaps because he was in the passenger seat, asking me to stop here and there to look at the various options open to us. By early February we had finalised Day 1 and were feeling quite pleased with ourselves; our only concern was some on-going road-works on the N2 but the contractors assured us that there would be no problem and that work could be cancelled for the rally. These assurances were dashed with the introduction of yet more road-works and we had to think again so yet more early mornings – we had to to plan Day 1 all over again. To add to our woes Mike was diagnosed with a serious illness and was going to have to undergo daily treatment in PE for many weeks. It is to his great credit that he still managed to find time to arrange the meal venues and to speak to our excellent sponsors and secure valuable finance for the rally.

The planning for Day 2 proved to be easier – George’s idea of ‘early’ became 6am and much of it was away from the main roads and the heavy traffic. But of course I was only the driver and someone to bounce ideas off, I was exhausted by the time I got home but once home George had to enter all the information into the Excel spreadsheets. I was full of admiration for George – he had so much to do and there was little I could do to help. 

As D-day approached we enlisted the help of Difford Keeton, he had volunteered to be the sweeper for the event and we thought it prudent that he should be involved in the final checking of the route. This was at a much more civilised hour of the day – leaving at 1pm or 2pm to go round the route proved much more agreeable. Despite all the meticulous attention to detail we still found one or two minor errors both in the signs on the roads, the distances and in the Excel spreadsheets. 

The final week was a hectic one, there is so much to do and again so much fell to George. Friday started early – Difford had kindly offered to do all the printing for us and there he was at his office at 8am. George and I then set about putting all the individual bags together for each contestant – their route schedules, the self timing forms, numbers for their cars and so on. Fresh batteries were fitted to the timing clocks and all synchronised ready for the event. It was then a question of loading up my Discovery with all the road signs for the event and by 2pm we were almost done. We just had to get the club premises ready for our visitors and the braai – all the washing-up from the weekly Noggin the previous night had to be done, the tables set out, the fires lit and the bar readied with ice, water and nibbles, not forgetting the wine. Roger and Sue Darkes joined Jackie and I in the task and we just about made it by the time our first guests arrived – Basil and Tessa Vertue who had travelled all the way from Johannesburg in their 1958 DKW. It was a great evening and all bode well for the two days that followed.

A number of people were on hand at Rosehill at 7.30 on the Saturday to support George in his role as Clerk of the Course, the cars began to arrive and all the months of planning were finally coming to fruition – there was an air of great excitement as various competitors and their navigators arrived to renew friendships with the members of other clubs, the cars were scrutinized by George Galbraith and Rob Mears; people started to synchronise their own clocks, collect their forms and get ready for the rally. It was time for Mike Newlands and I to set off to put out the signs on the route with Mike paying great attention to the route schedule as we went along.  It was great to see all the cars along the route as we headed back and a trifle amusing to see the occasional mistake where a competitor was heading in the wrong direction. I collected all the morning’s time sheets and delivered them to George who was being supported by Myrna Pellew in entering all the details into the computer. The afternoon’s route took the competitors up to Grahamstown before returning to Port Alfred. 

Of course the day did not stop there, I took the time sheets up to George and Myrna who were still busy inputting all the data. That evening we had an excellent fish and chip supper at the Port Alfred Ski Boat Club and there was great excitement when George arrived and posted up the results of Day 1 – I was sitting next to Bill and Shirley Martin who were thrilled to bits to find that they were in third place – so much so that Bill promptly bought himself another drink to celebrate.

Day 2 arrived, there had been some rain overnight and the day was overcast – we were all there at 7.30 to get things ready. Rosehill was a lot quieter on account of it being a Sunday and one by one the competitors started to arrive. Mike and I had planned to leave at 8am to set out the signs for the route – there was just one problem – we had no signs! Difford as the sweeper had collected all the signs on the Saturday and he was still in Bathurst – we had overlooked the need to transfer the signs from his vehicle to mine on the Saturday evening. 

Once again Mike paid great attention to the route schedule as we drove out to Kenton. We had just passed the Eco Estate when Mike announced that the Horns Up sign was on the right hand side of the road with no mention of it in the route schedules - we looked at our watches and realised it was too late to alert George because the driver’s briefing had already taken place. One black mark for us organisers!

Mike and I decided to await the arrival of the competitors at the Roes Restaurant where we had scheduled the morning coffee and tea break.   Mike and I stood outside and watched the competitors go by – it caused one navigator who shall remain nameless a moment of panic because she thought we were marshals! Mike and I set off once more to complete the signing of the route before returning to Rosehill where we went our separate ways – Mike’s next task was to set up all the trophies and organise the lunch at the Ski Boat Club whilst I went to the finishing line to meet up with George to collect the time-sheets. George then hot footed it back home to start processing all the data whilst I waited for the final time-sheets to come in.

At lunch there was an air of excitement as we all waited for George to appear with the results – not only had he to input all the data and combine that with the results of Day 1 he also had to print out the results and the individuals results. George is to be congratulated for a great achievement. 

Editors note: Many thanks to Peter who offered to write up this report and has given us a refreshingly different perspective - ie. from the organisers viewpoint. Many thanks to George and all of the guys who worked so hard to organise a very successful and pleasant rally. Ron

Between them Colin and Anne Meyer of BVCC won the OD Inggs Memorial trophy for first place, the Norbert Drager trophy for the first Navigator and the John Lee trophy for the first lady competitor.
Congratulations to them both on these outstanding performances.

Bill and Shirley Martin won the new Don Lee trophy for the best turned out car.
Well done to both of you on a superbly turned out car.
This trophy was donated by the late Pat Lee and her family in memory of Don, who was a founding member and whose hospitality we continue to enjoy in our Club House.


When I started presenting Fanmail on MailChimp I was congratulated on (or accused of?) dragging my club kicking and screaming into the digital age. Well here is another step along the way. Click on Pictures and you will have access to view and download any pictures taken by Dave Salzwedel, Rob Wallis and Joe Janssens.
If it is reasonably smart, you can do that on your cell phone!
Many thanks to the photographers.
This must be the very first Newsletter EVER to "contain" over 110 pictures! 
Can ANY other old car club make that claim? 

Classic & Sports Car Insurance Placements
“We Drive Classic Cars”
We insure them with Great Care.

Approved Broker: Mercedes-Benz Club South Africa

Tel: 031 701 0226 l Cell: 082 781 4410


A Division of Smythe Financial Services cc Authorised FSP No. 16054



Car Wanted

Member Hennie Van Der Merwe is looking for a a 1927/28 Dodge/Chev/Buick. 
Preferably renovated but any condition negotiable.
Please contact him on 012 371 2019 or 082 376 1615                                  3/3



In The Boot

(Useful Baggage and Tools for the trip)



SAVVA Technical Tip 118
12 volt petrol cut-off valves


We don’t often hear about collector cars being stolen however it has happened.  Recently, I fitted a 12 volt petrol cut-off valve to a car and thought it may be worth mentioning that such things are available. 

Originally they were designed to be part of elaborate security systems and were fitted in-line on the petrol pipe from the petrol tank to the carburettor.  They operate on 12 volt and require 12 volts to open them to allow the petrol to flow and no voltage means no petrol flows. To protect our collector cars they can be operated by a hidden switch under the dash or where ever you wish it to be.

They can also be used for other purposes. For example, I recently filled one to the tank of a little BMW Isetta. These cunning little vehicles had a mechanical tap which fed the carburettor by gravity. However, after 50 years these mechanical taps tended to corrode and leak and are extremely difficult to replace or repair.  In this case, the solution was to replace the original tap with one of these electrically operated devices. Nobody in their right minds would think of stealing an Isetta so security wasn’t an issue. To operate, I simply connected it to the wire from the ignition switch going to the coil. When the ignition is switched on the valve opens and the petrol flows, when the ignition is switched off – no petrol.

The car security shops keep them in stock and they cost about R150 each. Not much to pay for excellent security.


Tech Tip 118 is very good but the problem is that, if you are like me, you switch the tap on when you start up and then, when you switch off, you forget to switch the tap off. So the thief drives away blissfully unaware that there is a clever immobilizer installed. 

This wiring diagram was given to me by my electrical engineer cousin, Andrew Gush. After you have switched the ignition on, you press the hidden button. The tap opens and the relay maintains the circuit closed and the tap stays open and off you go. When you switch off, the tap closes automatically. The thief then starts the car, drives until the carburetor is dry and abandons the stalled car so that you can sleep soundly and still find it in the morning.

Ron Gush




Chairman:                                 Joe Janssens      083 235 1101               
Vice-Chairman and Events:      Rob Wallis           082 334 0354        
Secretary / Treasurer:               Shirley Martin      071 675 4570
Clubhouse Manager:                Peter Viner          046 624 3552 or 082 831 5769

Grahamstown Rep:                   Norbert Drager    046 622 6282 or 072 765 6448
Fanmail Editor:                          Ron Gush            046 648 3186 or 083 272 1961
Members:                                  Keith Schroeder  046 624 4114 or 082 412 3378

                                                  Roger Darkes      046 624 2874 or 082 373 8181

Other portfolio holders:
OD Inggs Co-ordinator:             George Armstrong 072 347 0924
SAVVA rep and Vehicle Dating: Des Hill               083 228 6774
assisted by:                                Dave Hawkins    046 624 2215 or 082 453 2618
Webmaster:                               John Austin-Williams (contact via Ron Gush for web content)



Tailpipe - Triumphs and Christopher Robin

by Ron Gush

Last Friday afternoon, I skipped down my driveway. I had just had a phone call from Jaco in Pretoria and he had found a diff for my Spittie!! If he had been in range, I might have hugged him. Luckily, he wasn't.

You, dear reader, must understand that I was becoming a little despondent. My Spitfire has been down for months and my disposition was becoming a little bit like that of Eeyore (friend of Pooh Bear, but you, of course, would know that). I had been looking far and wide for a diff with no success. I was contemplating importing one and had started the process of applying for an import permit (diffs can be tricky) and ITAC wanted more info and I was also considering buying a 4.11:1 ratio (not the one I want) diff from Frank in Cape Town, just to get the car back on the road and Eeyore was becoming my best friend. When suddenly I get this fantastic phone call and I discover that I have springs in my legs - like Tigger.

So I simply had to do some skipping.....



Our contact details are:
PO Box 2057, Port Alfred 6170


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can
update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

This email was sent to
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Albany Vintage and Classic Motor Club · PO Box 291 · Kenton-on-Sea, EC 6191 · South Africa

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp